Open config '\simpleinit.static.uefi.cfg' failed. Not found. Config: load failed. device: Mi 8 dipper

Hi folks, I have installed win10 on my Mi 8 with drivers, but when I try to boot I see only K letter in a blue circle logo and message:

main:initialize simple imp
Open config ‘simpleinit.static.uefi.cfg’ failed. Not found
Config: load failed

and I’m going back to boot menu

Besides of that I have an error: DRIVER PNP WATCHDOG and I can’t also run a Win image from USB as boot.image doesn’t recognize a USB drive.
Below are screenshots for Win 11, but I have tried with installing both Win10 and Win11 with no luck.

I have installed the windows on NFTS partition (85 GB nfts Name: win Flags: msftdata), with options Format and Bootable
then I have installed the drivers from WOA and I have ended up with Stop Code: Driver PNP Watchdog.

I am installing the drivers from the latest release from 25 May 2022 Releases · edk2-porting/WOA-Drivers · GitHub
I have also run all the commands from the installation solution.

What should I do now? What on the Disk D: should I check (maybe there are some logs for this)?

You didn’t flash devcfg

1 Like

You mean fastboot flash devcfg_ab devcfg-dipper_FixTS.img
from here https://4pda.to/forum/index.php?showtopic=884586&st=760#entry108223701 ?

I have flashed it, the starting message still persists, and after choosing option ‘Continue Boot’ I have two monits:

Recovery Your PC couldn’t start properly After multiple tries, the operating system on your PC failed to start, so it needs t be repaired.
Error code: Oxc0000001
You’ll need to use recovery tools If you don’t have any installation media (like a disc or USB device), contact your PC administrator or PC/Device manufacturer.
Press the Windows key for UEFI Firmware Settings

and

Recovery
Your PC/Device needs to be repaired The operating system couldn’t be loaded because the digital signature of a hie or one of its dependencies couldn’t be verified

File Windows\Systern32\DriverStore\FileRepository\qcpil850.inf_arm64_51d4efc7c44baa30\qcpil850.sys

Error code Oxc0000428

You’ll need to use recovery tools If you don’t have any installation media (like a disc or USB device), contact your PC administrator or PC/Device manufacturer

I have installed 19044.1889_arm64_en-us_professional_a49c900b_convert

At the end, after installing OS and drivers I have also enbaled testing mode with

• Enable Test-Signing mode
bcdedit /store Y:\efi\microsoft\boot\bcd /set {Default} testsigning on
bcdedit /store Y:\efi\microsoft\boot\bcd /set {Default} nointegritychecks on

What to do with that?

BTW, in drivers section, one of the drivers is described as unknown

Basing on this message File Windows\Systern32\DriverStore\FileRepository\qcpil850.inf_arm64_51d4efc7c44baa30\qcpil850.sys

I have found those drivers https://github.com/edk2-porting/sdm845-drivers/tree/master/qcpil850

installed it and now i have qcpep850 error

covery

Your PC/Device needs to be repaired The operating system couldn t be loaded because the digital signature of a file or of its dependencies couldn’t be verified

de. ‘WindowskSystern32\DriverStore\FileReposstory\qcpep.wd850inf_arm64_d4b893 b9dcf26e9e\qcpep850.sys

Error code. OK0000428

You’ll need to use recovery tools If you don’t have any installation media (like a du or USB device), contact your PC administrator or PC/Device manufacturer

1. If you flashed devcfg properly, you won’t get DRIVER_PNP_WATCHDOG anymore
  2. If you successfully disabled testsigning and nointegritychecks using bcdedit, you won’t get 0xc0000428
  3. Don’t use drivers from sdm845-drivers. They won’t work.
2 Likes

Thanks Sophon I admire your work and will to help here,
My problem is that i don’t know from where i can take devcfg file

I have found one here, on Russian forum
https://4pda.to/forum/index.php?showtopic=884586&st=760#entry108223701
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-fq7FFYqJqVKucEQlalm8x_403Z_e8cE

named devcfg-dipper_FixTS.img

with description:
'#reboot to fastboot
fastboot flash devcfg_ab devcfg-dipper_FixTS.img

(This is so that the touchscreen works, and there are no extra blue screens)
fastboot boot boot-dipper.img’

Only command with devcfg can be run succesfully

fastboot flash devcfg_ab devcfg-dipper_FixTS.img

BTW, during install boot is saved to my esp partition number 21
obraz

Now I am using those drivers from
https://github.com/edk2-porting/WOA-Drivers/releases

EDIT: maybe it’s because in the first steps during partition creation I have recreated minidump partition? I don’t why blue screen is still popping up.

My phone is MI 8 model: M1803E1A

BTW, is it possible to turn this off only by accessing the disk with installed Windows 10 ARM64 and changing something there?

it’s still related to driver signature, try using bcdedit and double check your bcd path

1 Like

Even after flashing fastboot flash devcfg_ab devcfg-dipper_FixTS.img
I still see “Open config ‘\simpleinit.static.uefi.cfg’ failed. Not found. Config: load failed”

DisableIntegrityChecks is set to True
and AllowPrereleaseSignatures also to True, but under BcdStore\Loaders\WindowsSetup

under {bootmgr} it’s only DisableIntegrityChecks, but without AllowPrereleaseSignatures

I’m a rookie here so I used Visual BCD Editor, should I add something in {bootmgr} or {bootloadersettings}? to the {bootloadersettings} I have no access from Visual BCD

I see structure of this partition like this:
obraz

obraz

obraz

obraz

obraz

obraz

BTW via Mass Storage mode I have access to the esp partition stored here via Windows64 as I:\ and with Visual BCD editor I have an option to ‘repair bcd’ but I don’t know what this can done, so I don’t touch it

I am not sure if windows disk and BCD are connected here

obraz

It’s me, Vistulack and I have and Update:

thanks to @Sophon and @h9419 XDA forum user I have managed to succesfully install Win 11 on Mi 8 :slight_smile:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/q-project-renegade-windows-arm64-on-dipper-mi-8-boot-partition-none.4445347/#post-88219547

To sum up:

This time I have install drivers in ver. 1.1.1 https://github.com/edk2-porting/WOA-Drivers/releases/tag/v1.1.1

and after installation of dism I have used not only:

bcdedit /store Y:\efi\microsoft\boot\bcd /set {Default} testsigning on

bcdedit /store Y:\efi\microsoft\boot\bcd /set {Default} nointegritychecks on

but also :

bcdedit /store Y:\efi\microsoft\boot\bcd /set {Default} recoveryenabled no

Also I wouldn’t recommend using Windows 10 home, as screen keyboard wasn’t working there; I came across error:

C:\Windows\system32\osk.exe

A referal was returned from the server

This error wasn’t seen on Windows 11 Pro

During install, I had also a problem with WiFi connections, but after putting mobile in the near of router I was able to connect (this issue camu up only during setting account)

Anyways, now I have other problem.

If I press turn off while charging, either from Windows or bootloader level, I end up back in bootloader menu, without knowing what is the battery level is (in Windows is still shows 0%, which is odd, because phone is still running).

Now I need to check how to enable turning phone off when charging (or put it into charging mode, with only battery level shown)

EDIT: ok, it looks like the best mode to charge the phone is setting it to recovery mode.
Windows 11 seems to consume the battery faster than I charge it, but it can be also issue with my phone.